Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side (epilogue)

so we're in the USA again.  feels so good to be here.  i love it.

we got a kill McGill cuban sandwich downtown and took a cab to Miami beach to get to a record store.  We walked in and they were playing "Wish You Were Here" on vinyl over the loudspeakers.  Felt so great to be back in America listening to Floyd again!  :)

Picked up a weathered original-looking pressing of The Damned's "Damned, Damned, Damned", a copy of Fitz & The Tantrums' new (only) LP (my newest obsession.  i bought a copy of the CD back home.), a super scarce OG pressing of TSOL's 1984 album "Change Today?".  I was pretty dang stoked about my purchases.

When we took the discs up to the counter the lady selling them asked me if I'd ever seen Fitz & The Tantrums.  Much to my delight she was as blown away by that band as I am.  She said live they were mind-blowing, and I believe her.  She felt exactly same way, and she was 50 something.  I told her I never thought I'd hear a band play real R&B again and she just sincere as can be agreed.  "Yeah, I know.  You have to see them.  They are so good."

I love America.  We are really gross people.  We pig the fuck out at buffets and don't know dick about politcs ever.  Even the "rebellious" kids don't seem know the first fucking thing about their government.  And the "mature" older adults vote like pricks and vote like greedy dickwads.

The stewards on the ship probably watched us with disgust.  We load our plates up with burgers and potatoes and chicken and we eat half of it and dump it in the trash with all our extra ketchup and we belch and say "what's going on at the Lido deck now?" and drag our asses their with our glazed over eyes like dead hammerhead sharks pointing and noting how much we don't like the smell of the ocean...

This is what the world thinks of us.  We are losers.  But we're pretty good folks, you know?  We're just fat as fuck and ignorant.  You can't hate Gomer Pyle too much but you still kind of wish we would quit fucking screwing up and get a clue sometime. 

It's comfortable here and Oklahoma is the only place I feel home, and I'm proud I'm from here, even though we are misguided fuckups.  We live in the land of plenty, with lots of beauty and wide open spaces, and we really do have enough chicken and burgers to eat, so you got to imagine it just gets to our heads sometimes.

What do I know about international travel?  Little.  Just brief snippets of the carribean, but I have met lots of people from all over the world and I get it that there's much more out there than what we talk about over our burger king 3 Whopper lunches.

Whatever.  The Replacements are from here.  Fugazi is from here.  Alex Chilton and Brian Wilson.  We aren't all worthless.  Only a country like US could create "Pet Sounds", and I'm proud of that.



p.s. Fitz & The Tantrums are amazing!  They are from America too.  Check them out at your earliest convenience, for God's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment